Apex Pest Control: Quality Pest Control Since 1978
Our team at Apex Pest Control has been providing high-quality pest control at affordable and competitive rates for more than 40 years. Our expert technicians are licensed, bonded and insured, with continuing education to provide you with the latest technology and methods of pest control. If you are experiencing a high number of unwanted guests in your home, including silverfish, spiders, fleas, ants and wasps, Apex Pest Control is here to help.
What Is Silverfish Control?
Silverish or bristletails are nocturnal creatures that roam freely around homes at night in search of food and water sources. They have flat silver bodies and bristly antennae. Silverfish look very similar to firebrats, with wingless, carrot-shaped bodies and long antennae. If you need help assessing which critter you have invading your home, give Apex Pest Control a call.
How to Prevent Silverfish
Prevention is essential to avoiding large infestations and controlling current infestations. The following steps are crucial to ridding your home of silverfish. They’re also beneficial in preventing other pest infestations as well.
- Cut off their food supply
- Practice good home hygiene
- Reduce access to water
- Be mindful of exterior maintenance
- Seal cracks and crevices
Understanding a Silverfish Infestation
Silverfish can be difficult to get rid of, but they’re not actually harmful to humans and they don’t spread any diseases. While they’re not inherently dangerous, silverfish can cause many other issues, such as destruction of property. They quickly reproduce, they attract other pests, and they may trigger allergies.
Silverfish infestations signs include the following:
- Destruction to paper, books, wallpaper, clothing, and upholstery
- Yellow stains or dust
- Tiny “black-pepper” feces
- Seeing live silverfish in your home
If you notice these signs in your home, call Apex Pest Control right away. It is important to stop a silverfish infestation as quickly as possible because they reproduce quickly and damage your home and belongings. Whether it is an early infestation or late in the game, our team of experts can rid your home of silverfish and other pests.
Common Species of Silverfish in Sacramento
There are three species of silverfish that are commonly found in the Sacramento area.
- Common silverfish: These silverfish are most often found near sources of moisture, so they are commonly hiding in the basement or cellar. They demand high humidity and temperatures, so the basement is the perfect home for them. Because of this, they rarely travel to the upper floors. If you have an unfinished basement or a cellar you rarely use, they can go undetected for quite a while.
- Gray silverfish: These silverfish are much more mobile, and they will explore your entire home. They love to hang out in low-traffic areas such as closets and storage spaces. They particularly love bookshelves. They eat plant and animal materials.
- Four-lined silverfish: These silverfish are more commonly a tan-gray color and have four distinct black lines down the back. It requires a warm and humid environment like the common silverfish but has an adventurer spirit like the gray silverfish.
How Do Silverfish Cause Damage?
Silverfish are relentless eaters. They consume sugar and starch which may sound manageable, but sugar and starch are in everything. From glue to food, they eat it all. Nothing in your home is off-limits. They most often destroy paper, books, wallpaper, clothing, and upholstery. That means vintage items and photos are some of the first things to go. Therefore, silverfish infestations can be so devastating and why silverfish bug treatment is so crucial
How to Get Rid of Silverfish
If you find yourself dealing with a silverfish infestation, there are a couple of options. There are traps and pesticides that will help to eliminate the silverfish, but a more long-term silverfish infestation treatment can be reached by removing the main thing attracting the silverfish. Apex Pest Control can help you determine what is attracting the silverfish in the first place. We will also make a detailed treatment plan to ensure the silverfish infestation doesn’t come back.
How Apex Pest Control Takes Care of Your Problem
Apex Pest Control technicians are highly trained and are always learning the newest methods for pest control. With silverfish, we’ll first inspect your home for hotspots of silverfish or weak points where they could be entering. Then we’ll investigate to determine the severity of the infestation. From there, our experts will provide a detailed treatment plan that best fits your situation.
Our technicians use integrated pest management methods and products. We also follow up with maintenance checks to ensure that the pest control methods are working and that your home is staying pest-free. Choose Apex Pest Control for peace of mind and a pest-free home.
Choose Us to Keep Your Home Pest Free
Trust Apex Pest Control for pest control services in the Sacramento, CA area. Whether you’re having an issue with silverfish or another annoying pest, we’re equipped with the knowledge and products to rid your home of these unwanted guests. We provide control for the following pests:
If you’re having issues with any of these pests or have suspicions that you may have an infestation, call us right away. For our full list of services, click here.