Apex Pest Control: Quality Pest Control Since 1978
Our team at Apex Pest Control believes our customers deserve to have peace of mind and not worry about pests invading their homes. If you are experiencing a high number of unwanted guests in your home, including pantry pests, spiders, fleas, ants, and wasps, Apex Pest Control is here to help. We have been providing high-quality pest control at affordable rates for more than 40 years, and our technicians are licensed, bonded, and insured, with continuing education to provide you with the latest pest control methods.
What Are Pantry Pests?
Pantry pest is a broad term for an insect or critter that is attracted to and infests your pantry items, such as:
- Whole grains
- Pet food
- Dried fruit
- Other dried goods
These pests take over your food supply, and infestations grow very quickly and are hard to manage without the help of a professional pest control team. Apex Pest Control can aid you in ridding your pantry of these pests.
Types of Pantry Pests in Sacramento
The most common type of pantry pests are moths, weevils, and pantry beetles. You may also encounter the following pantry pests in Sacramento, CA:
- Cigarette beetle
- Flour beetle
- Grain beetle
- Rice weevil
Why Do I Have a Pantry Pest Problem?
Many pantry pest infestations begin at food processing plants. This is where food products can become infested with eggs or larvae. These foods, and their subsequent guests, then enter businesses or homes. In other cases, pantry pests will find their way into businesses or homes through the spaces around doors and windows.
How Do I Get Rid of Pantry Pests?
The best way to get rid of pantry pests is to leave it to the professionals. Apex Pest Control is your best option when you’ve got pantry pest control needs. Our pantry pest control protocol has been designed and tested specifically to rid your home of any pantry pests. Contact us today to set up a time for us to come and rid your home of pests.
How to Prevent a Pantry Pest Infestation
At Apex Pest Control, we believe a crucial step in pest control is prevention. How can you prevent a pantry pest infestation?
- Don’t buy food in bulk. Buy what you can eat before the next time you go shopping to avoid food sitting out for long periods of time.
- In cases where you do want food to last a long time, food containers need to be sealed up tight.
- Check products before purchasing them. Look for signs of infestation, such as contamination in package seals or holes in the packaging.
- Store food in tightly closed glass, ceramic, or hard plastic containers.
- Store infestation-susceptible items in your fridge or freezer.
- Regularly clean your pantry. Sweep up spills and crumbs as soon as they happen.
- Discard old food you don’t want anymore.
- Use pantry pest traps throughout the year to monitor pantry pest activity.
Apex Pest Control’s Pantry Pest Control Protocol
Our tested and proven pantry pest control protocol will help you to rid your pantry of these pests. If you notice one or two pantry pests, you can try early elimination by continuing with this protocol on your own. If you need professional help, our team at Apex Pest Control will come and go through this pantry pest control protocol for you. You will need a vacuum, caulk, a wet rag, soap, water, and personal protective equipment (mask, gloves, eyewear).
- Move non-infected food to the side and discard all food items that are infested. This will eliminate breeding grounds and is a crucial first step.
- Vacuum inside the pantry, getting all corners and crevices.
- If you have adjustable shelving, remove the shelves, and clean out the pegs with toothpicks.
- Take a rag with soap and water and wipe down all the surfaces where you were storing your food.
- Look for any cracks in the shelving or pantry walls and seal them with caulk.
- Apply insecticide to the back of the shelves to disarm any remaining pests. Novacide Aerosol is a great insecticide for pantry pests. Shake well and point downward. Apply in quick bursts rather than a continuous spray.
- Don’t reenter or allow others to enter the pantry area until the spray has dried, and the vapors have dispersed.
- Restock your pantry once the insecticide has completely dried.
- Place a pheromone-laced glue trap in your pantry. This keeps your food safe from being reinfested.
- Place the trap where it can remain without being disturbed. They can also be hung in pantries further away from the food.
- The trap lures pests in with the pheromone and traps them with glue. It lasts between 60 and 90 days. One trap covers about 100 sq. ft.
Choose Us to Keep Your Home Pest Free
Whether you’re having an issue with pantry pests or another pest, we’re equipped with the knowledge and products to rid your home of these unwanted guests quickly and thoroughly. Trust Apex Pest Control for pest control services in Sacramento, CA. We provide control for the following pests:
If you’re having issues with pests, call us right away at Apex Pest Control. We will get your home pest-free again in no time. For our full list of services, click here.